Every now an then you can read about strange American laws in German newspapers. Not that we don’t have some ourselves, but yours are way better. I like them. I’m sure most of them are either outdated or simply made up, but they’re always good for a quick laugh.
It is illegal to smoke cigarettes within 15 feet of a public place unless you have a Class 12 liqueur license.
- A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.
- Denver: The dog catcher must notify dogs of impounding by posting, for three consecutive days, a notice on a tree in the city park and along a public road running through said park.
- A Kennesaw, Ga. law makes it illegal for every homeowner not to own a gun, unless you are a convicted felon, conscientious objector or disabled.
- Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day.
- Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants in Marshalltown, Iowa.
- In Kansas City, KS, saying the name “George Washington” without adding the phrase “blessed be his name,” can land you with a fine of up to fifty cents.
- An excerpt from brilliant Kentucky state legislation. “No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club”. The following important ammendment however is to be considered here: “The provisions of this statuate shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds,
- Biting someone with your natural teeth is “simple assault”, while biting someone with your false teeth is “aggravated assault”.
- No man is allowed to make love to his wife with the smell of garlic, onions, or sardines on his breath in Alexandria, Minnesota. If his wife so requests, law mandates that he must brush his teeth.
- In Merryville women are prohibited from wearing corsets because “the privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male.”
You can find a whole lot more here.